Immigrants force their way into the Spanish enclave of Melilla from Morocco
Euro Weekly News
Guardia Civil sources have said that approximately 100 sub-Saharan immigrants have managed to jump the fence complex separating the Spanish exclave of Melilla from Moroccan territory.
This latest attempt has been described by sources as “very violent.” They said about 500 people had attempted to force their way across the border in the early hours of Monday morning.
The immigrants used sticks and stones to storm their way to and across the barrier. Members of the Moroccan security forces took refuge in the area between the two wire fences and requested help from the Spanish Guardia Civil according to the central government’s delegation in Melilla.
It said the 500 immigrants divided into two groups. It is not yet known if there were any injuries.
Second attempt this month
This is the second border raid by sub-Saharan immigrants in a week. Some 150 illegal immigrants forced their way across the fence at Melilla, which is protected by razor-wire, last Monday.
Earlier this month fifteen sub-Saharans died trying to cross into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta. They were either drowned or were crushed when they tried to swim around a border wall protruding into the sea.
The Spanish Interior Ministry have now admitted that the Guardia Civil fired rubber bullets “in the direction” of the immigrants when they were in the water after initially denying that this had occured.
Spain has called on Europe to help them to stem the rate of immigration into Spain.
Comments are closed.